In hearts and smiles

At granny’s house last summer,
she shared how she missed
her ancestral home,
the tree in her neighbourhood
with star apples,
where she often met grandpa,
he was caught stealing her heart there.

Clay models she sculpted,
depicted invincibility!
the cub on the mother's lap,
in the showcase,
they belong to mom,
it is her birthday gift,
but they are my friends
and good listeners too.
Granny-The Michelangelo of our family.

Education in India
bunked the classes on renaissance,
even after 1947,
judge me not you grin of hypocrisy,
are Sahifa Banu and Amrita Sher-Gil alive?
Artists are supposed to be eternal
but do textbooks in school teach gender neutrality?

Her almirah had pure white sarees,
red and purple were her favourites. Regressive mentality,
kept in Pandora's box
during Dussehra and Holika Dahan?

Granny would sit by my side;
a cup of ginger tea,
the setting sun,
all her attention on my stories.
I would tell her…
how efficiently I enacted
the role of a sunflower
on annual day,
and she would pour sunlight
on my confidence,
by giving me a victory hug.

In my mother's inherited love for books,
in her gratitude and kindness,
granny smiles through her eyes.

©songbriti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Glimmer of Hope

Ways for Quacks to hide their scams related to mental healthcare on social media:

Ways to earn money for quacks in mental healthcare: